Monday, July 17, 2023


I get a forlorn vibe from this older man.
I love his cute hat, though.



  1. In England, this style is known as a "flat cap"; in Scotland, a "Highland cap"; and in Ireland and Scotland, a "Finnean cap". The word derives from both the Gaelic and Gallic meaning "fair" or "white". They were traditionally worn in the Highlands because of the winds (and horizontal rain) and were more a tradesman's cap in England but and became universally very popular with the introduction of the automobile as they didn't have a peak that would catch the on-coming wind and be blown off. I have a photograph of my grandfather wearing one on his honeymoon in 1918, at St Andrew's Golf Course, where my grandparents went for a "golfing honeymoon". This one looks like an Aussie version made out of psychedelic plastic and looks like one of the props from the Australian film Strictly Ballroom (which, if you haven't seen it, is a must).

    1. I have a tweed version of this hat that I bought in the Western Isles of the Outer Hebrides, or Eilean Siar.